Successful complaint resolution includes following a kind of formula similar to that of a negotiation. In order for it to work out to your satisfaction, you need to become good at it by practicing and being consistent. You also must document each step made toward the resolution and be willing to follow up and take the actions that are appropriate for each level. Below are five of the more effective ways to get complaints resolved:
1. Be prepared with details before contacting anyone. Make sure to keep and have readily available all records which include but are not limited to the time, place, form and event of said incident. Also be prepared to document everything that is said and what is promised so that it can be tracked later. Every interaction or phone conversation should be noted; including the name of the party and what day and time it occurred. Also keep copies of every email or letter sent regarding the issue.
2. Keep your communications clear. Explain the situation in short, easy to understand sentences that only detail the facts and actions that have occurred. Refrain from being rude or making snide commentary. Becoming indignant, impatient or disrespectful will only hurt matters by alienating the person you are dealing with.
3. Begin at the first level of customer service. For example, if it is an item to return, start at the place where returns are accepted. If the complaint concerns a service you need to deal with the person who is assigned to your account. This could be a general customer service representative. Remember that you want to start small and get to the top only after all other avenues have been exhausted.
4.Contact immediate supervisors, managers and higher level customer service representativesif you get no satisfaction at the first level, or if what was promised was not delivered at the first level. Many companies also have social media accounts such as Twitter and Facebook that are monitored by customer service representatives. Using those services can sometimes result in a favorable resolution. Continue to move forward to each level of management until you have reached the individual with the authority to make decisions that will change the situation.
5. Contact an online complaint resolution firm. In order to gain satisfactory results, you may need to look toward the internet for assistance. Contemplate contacting a complaint resolution firm such as gripevine.com. Companies like these work as third-party mediators who work with both you and the business accused to come to an agreeable resolution. Most of these firms let you sign up on their webpage and state your grievance with the company accused. When the company accused receives a complaint they respond directly to the customer online. This form of response technology gives the consumer and business a second opportunity to work towards a positive outcome.
6. Contact the appropriate licensing or regulatory agencies. Many businesses have organizations that control and regulate their industry. Successful companies understand that having a good reputation is essential. Therefore, contacting the appropriate agencies, whether they are a licensing, BBB or government regulatory unit is a great way to get satisfaction. File a complaint with the appropriate entity and mark your calendar for a follow-up. Keep notes and copies of every form and piece of communication.
Above all, be consistent and polite. It can be frustrating to deal with customer service representatives who either have language barriers or seem to be reading from a script. However, it serves no purpose to become angry with them in any way. In fact, it will only make matters worse. Remember that most of the time the customer service representative could be the lowest person on the totem pole. Unless you are dealing with a high-end service that will most likely be the case.
One of the best ways to avoid having complaints in the first place is to understand all of the terms of the agreement which includes the exchange and return policies and terms of service. Documenting this information in writing is one of the most effective ways to do this. Also, the documentation will be very critical if you should decide to seek litigation.
Nickey Williams is academically trained in management and a self-motivated writer. If ever found in a complaint resolution dispute visit gripevine.com where there are experts waiting and wanting to help you get your complaint resolved.
Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maveric2003/98585340/